A bomb threat that closed an Oxford school on Friday is being treated as a hoax.
Oxford Spires Academy pupils were sent home in the morning after the school received a ‘malicious email’.
Principal Marianne Blake said she did not want to take any risks and closed the East Oxford school.
Police searched the school buildings before declaring the site safe and the email a hoax.
Miss Blake said: “I should like to thank you all for your support during this morning’s [Friday’s] unexpected events. Both our parents and our students were a credit to the school.
“A malicious email was sent to our school relating to a suspicious item. We acted immediately to inform the police and our academy trust. We followed the trust’s safety guidance while liaising with our local police who arrived at the school very quickly.
“Our students’ and staff’s safety is paramount and for this reason, I decided not to take any risk, but to contact parents and to close the school for the rest of the day.”
She added: “The police and our site staff conducted a thorough search of the buildings, and concluded that the threat had been a hoax.
“The police are now investigating to determine the source of the malicious communication.”
Thames Valley Police confirmed they were called to the Glanville Road school at about 7.55am following reports of a malicious email relating to a suspicious item.
A spokesperson said: “Officers attended the site and assisted school staff with a search of the premises. Nothing was found and the email is being treated as a hoax.
“An investigation will take place to determine the source of the malicious communication.”
The school, which looks after more than 1,100 pupils, reopened on Monday.
The closure came just days after 400 schools across England were shut when they were sent a hoax threat demanding cash.
It is not yet known if the incident is linked or whether the threat is considered credible.